News

This is not Furcadia canon

Eliel · 34949

Bluehawk79042

Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 11:58:11 PM
@Lionheart, I think that your best bet is to go the route of nondenomination.

Don't run a specific church, just encourage Faith.

If you try to promote something specific, you're going to alienate everyone, and the Church itself will fail.

Not WHAT you believe, but THAT you believe.

I've always tried to follow this idea, though those running the church tend to do their own thing.  Etla in general has followed a sort of pagan belief system though I never specified any one in particular so that it remained open.  All of the festivals follow the sun calendar, celebrating the equinoxes and such.

Just want to throw this out here~ Clergyman Firepaw ran a very multi-faith based cathedral. He even had priests of different faiths working together. Granted~ Different clergyman now.

Offline Haymaker

• Moist Titties
  • Veteran Member
  • hOY
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 12:15:51 AM
IMHO

In the realms of magical and infinite possibilities, the role of a god is downplayed. If a man can perform a miracle, deities only present a sphere of power and it'd be a good possibility that a god/deity/idol is a being of magical power way beyond normal comprehension.

Or.. It isn't a god that powers the cleric, it is their faith!

Bluehawk79042

Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 12:24:32 AM

Or.. It isn't a god that powers the cleric, it is their faith!

Or the souls of all the dead Eileadoran's that go to the graveyard :x *Whistles*

Lionheart

Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 02:39:30 PM
Everyone has good points.

I have certainly listened to them.

Many of you have already pointed to where I personally want to take things, though the character is not quite there only because RP has to happen!

Great feedback. :D

Takurasho

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:47 AM
Bumping this thread for posterity.

Offline Render

• Cool as Ice
  • LoreMaster
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • JTtheNinja.com
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 06:07:42 AM
Quit bumping threads' posteriors, @Takurasho!

Current alts:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Teh_Lian

Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 07:56:33 AM
A good portion of this thread seems worth sticking? It does seem like pertinent information :)

Offline Eliel

• Queen Bee
  • Owner
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:11 AM
Everything in this board is pertinent info.

river

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:45 PM
Hi. I'm a new player and I just wanted to clarify, so basically the island of Etla exists in a world that includes nothing but the island itself, and the only things to come from off of the island are what find their way into the rift?

Offline Eliel

• Queen Bee
  • Owner
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 02:00:07 PM
Jay explained it pretty well. It is just the main island and a few smaller islands surrounding it currently.

Offline Render

• Cool as Ice
  • LoreMaster
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • JTtheNinja.com
Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 02:36:11 PM
Basically Mos Eisley.

Current alts:

Offline Ayumu

• Sairon
  • Sairon Psion
    • View Profile
    • Tykari
  • Alt Names: Tykari (retired), Ayumu Capris, Mitsuko K'valen
Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 06:31:50 PM
Never have i seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.”
― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Offline Kaz Nivek

• Its all good.
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 02:23:11 AM
In the D and D sense of things, regular people can attain the positions of deity's, and deity's can be slain or forgotten, even have their powers taken or challenged by them powerful enough. So in the same token their deity's are just uber powerful characters who left this plain of existence for wanting one with greater challenge and potential for their skills, yes?

Offline Luctus

• Grumpy
  • Admin
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 04:17:54 AM
In the D and D sense of things, regular people can attain the positions of deity's, and deity's can be slain or forgotten, even have their powers taken or challenged by them powerful enough. So in the same token their deity's are just uber powerful characters who left this plain of existence for wanting one with greater challenge and potential for their skills, yes?

In regards to D&D's concept of godhood, that's not entirely accurate. By D&D standards, gods can definitely be slain, their powers stolen, and their worship dismantled. The Forgotten Realms setting maintains that gods will simply shrivel up and die without worship; this the decree of that pantheon's overdeity. They are more than simply ascended characters, however. Most of the pantheons listed across D&D's various core and splat books are not former mortals; they're primordial entities. A few, such as Lolth, began as a demon lord and eventually ascended to godhood through a combination of mortal worship and stolen power. What precious few of D&D's gods there are that began their existence as mortals have all but lost their original identities whilst ascending.

Even a lesser deity would be considered powerful well beyond mortal reckoning. You might could kill one in an epic level campaign that has allowed the acquisition of a divine rank or two, but there's almost no chance of being able to do it using only core and splat books and 20th level characters. Between their already ridiculous stats and the further gains of possessing several divine ranks, these entities are virtually untouchable except by other gods and near-gods. The gap becomes even wider when you factor in intermediate  deities, which are themselves as far above lesser deities as lesser deities are mortals. Above them are greater deities, and above those is an overdeity.

All that being said, the dream doesn't stick to D&D's canon. It's kind of a melting pot. I'd kinda like to see Etla get its own religion going at some point in the future.

Offline Ayumu

• Sairon
  • Sairon Psion
    • View Profile
    • Tykari
  • Alt Names: Tykari (retired), Ayumu Capris, Mitsuko K'valen
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 04:30:51 AM
All that being said, the dream doesn't stick to D&D's canon. It's kind of a melting pot. I'd kinda like to see Etla get its own religion going at some point in the future.

@Lionheart and I have been working on something to this effect. I know he had mentioned in his one thread about religion. A concept of Light and Darkness kind of thing. I think it would be an interesting concept at its base, but yeah...

Etla was never a religious continuity as LE had mentioned before, but I do agree, seeing some kind of religious aspect be introduced and developed would be neat and help promote more historical events!

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.”
― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey