News

This is not Furcadia canon

Eliel · 35048

Offline Aspen

• Songbird
  • Songless Bird
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:19:26 PM
I've always downplayed the furc stuff here.  I shall eliminate it entirely in my posts/discussion/history from now on.  ^^'

"Innocence is like polished armor; it adorns and defends."

Offline Render

• Cool as Ice
  • LoreMaster
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • JTtheNinja.com
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:53:21 PM
Just gonna leave this here if you need ideas on whom to preach.

Current alts:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Takurasho

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:38:01 PM
At the top right of the forum screen there are two links, "Rules & OOC Info" and "IC/Continuity Info". Under Continuity Info, you'll see the thread Etla Isle Map & Locations. The first portion reads:

Etla Isle is roughly the size of The Isle of Man (found between Ireland & the UK). It can be found somewhat southwest of Kasuria but does not exist on the same plane (or within Furc canon standards). The magical boundaries of the island work as a sort of 'bermuda triangle', allowing ships to pass between realms for trade and RP purposes.  The land is rich with magic and has several magical ley lines that converge within it.
http://eileadora.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Also under Continuity Info, if you click Library, there's a thread on the rift, but it's currently only a placeholder until @Eliel writes more on it http://eileadora.com/index.php?topic=221.0

Sorry you're feeling stressed, Blade  :-\ Is there anything you're confused about or need help with?

8bitRampage

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
I feel kinda intimidated too, especially when the char I just implanted here comes with a dragonlands backstory cause that's the continuity I've always played in before migrating here. I'm not sure I understand why it's called furcadian crap? o.o I thought it was just as valid and welcome as any of the original player-created realms various characters in the continuity come from.

I'm really hoping this is just referring to, like, people RPing that the primes actually literally exist and come in to be all powerful or things like that.. and not targeting basic canon acknowledgment. Cause I use dragonlands terminology a lot, but I understand the difference between someone strongly believing in gods that don't actually exist here vs calling on the Primes for strength and turning into a super hero because of it.

I'm just seeing people saying they're gonna not talk about dragonlands stuff at all or acknowledge it now and I'm worried about not being welcome here. Can someone clarify?

Offline Rose

• Etla's Mom
    • View Profile
    • RPR
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:49:20 PM
I feel kinda intimidated too, especially when the char I just implanted here comes with a dragonlands backstory cause that's the continuity I've always played in before migrating here. I'm not sure I understand why it's called furcadian crap? o.o I thought it was just as valid and welcome as any of the original player-created realms various characters in the continuity come from.

---

I'm just seeing people saying they're gonna not talk about dragonlands stuff at all or acknowledge it now and I'm worried about not being welcome here. Can someone clarify?

Ditto!

Takurasho

Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:48 PM
Nooo no no, you're alright... I think of it like this... Etla is its own little dimension, but others can enter it. Sort of like Fairy dimensions- it's like a magical rift in time and space. Tak is from 1548AD England, but the rift teleports everyone that passes through it to Eileadora's time and place. So he can enter from his world, and others can enter from Kasura/Dragonlands/Furc, but Etla is a place all in and of itself.

Lionheart

Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 05:04:51 PM
I kind of think the point is that Eileadora is its own continuity and note solely Dragonlands/Kasuria/Dungeons and Dragons specific.

We're definitely open to everyone from wherever they come from, because we are a kind of multiverse. Can lead to great discussions and/or interesting plot!

I think that's the point. Right?

Though, in identifying that point, it also explains why certain weapons don't work, certain character skills fizzle out, and/or people may forget things and/or not remember things properly?

The Rift, to me, as I always rendered it, was just a catch-all explanation for why Eileadora does exist and why things are their own way here.

The "Faith-Based" stuff just interests me personally because of my IRL job and ministry and my IC position around faith and blessings. :D

Offline Draum

• High Council
  • Etla's Dad, Pusher of Draumcoffee
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:07:00 PM
I've been treating it such that.. the Primes of Kasuria are treated like a false religion here, which by the cannon, they are. For my character, that means that while he recognizes the Primes, he also understands that his religion isn't even a blip on the radar here. Few outside of those who also migrated from Kasuria have heard of it in his opinion, and he's not the type to want to debate religion.

He isn't going to go to the cathedral expecting others to know what he's talking about when he speaks about the Primes, and thus doesn't. He's still prone to slip of the tongue in moments of shock though, such as "Primes, how did that happen?"

OOCly, it doesn't extend beyond the beliefs of my character who has zero proof to back up what he believes in.

Since Kasuria is a thing in the cannon here, so it seems naturally fine that those traveling from it would have an understanding of the religion there. I think the confusion is that the point of this thread was to make it known that that IC deities can't be used in the OOC planning of plots.

It's fine for a character to reference their beliefs, it's not ok for a Prime to come down and prove those beliefs either in person or through a proxy (since they aren't actually 'real' here.) Is that a good way of putting it?

Takurasho

Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 05:14:43 PM
That sounds excellent to me. My main isn't religious, but Andronicus worships the Greek god Pan, and even though he's away from his home dimension he continues to worship in secret- extreme secret, since his kind get a bad rep even in his land. He can only imagine what people here would think of it.

But it's true, we have hired companies with HQs in Kasuria, and we have the portal leading to Yveridea which is Kasurian land. It makes sense for residents to be aware of their religions and customs if only to an extent. That doesn't mean that the Primes reside over this Etla dimension of ours, though.

Takurasho

Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 05:25:09 PM
Hail Hydra.

Offline Eliel

• Queen Bee
  • Owner
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 05:36:54 PM
@Lionheart, I think that your best bet is to go the route of nondenomination.

Don't run a specific church, just encourage Faith.

If you try to promote something specific, you're going to alienate everyone, and the Church itself will fail.

Not WHAT you believe, but THAT you believe.

I've always tried to follow this idea, though those running the church tend to do their own thing.  Etla in general has followed a sort of pagan belief system though I never specified any one in particular so that it remained open.  All of the festivals follow the sun calendar, celebrating the equinoxes and such.

Offline Eliel

• Queen Bee
  • Owner
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:45 PM
I've been treating it such that.. the Primes of Kasuria are treated like a false religion here, which by the cannon, they are. For my character, that means that while he recognizes the Primes, he also understands that his religion isn't even a blip on the radar here. Few outside of those who also migrated from Kasuria have heard of it in his opinion, and he's not the type to want to debate religion.

He isn't going to go to the cathedral expecting others to know what he's talking about when he speaks about the Primes, and thus doesn't. He's still prone to slip of the tongue in moments of shock though, such as "Primes, how did that happen?"

OOCly, it doesn't extend beyond the beliefs of my character who has zero proof to back up what he believes in.

Since Kasuria is a thing in the cannon here, so it seems naturally fine that those traveling from it would have an understanding of the religion there. I think the confusion is that the point of this thread was to make it known that that IC deities can't be used in the OOC planning of plots.

It's fine for a character to reference their beliefs, it's not ok for a Prime to come down and prove those beliefs either in person or through a proxy (since they aren't actually 'real' here.) Is that a good way of putting it?

Yes. All of this.

8bitRampage

Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 06:03:48 PM
Oh good, okay that's the way I've been assuming things worked so that's awesome. I feel better now. X3

Offline Barathon

• Ultimo urbis Romae
  • Veteran Member
  • Sanguis enim eorum pro anima.
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 06:15:51 PM
This then would raise the question of how certain deities of D&D fame would operate. Would clerics and paladins that operate in that sense lose their powers in Etla? Rather than merely being a derivative of faith, those sorts are directly given their power by their deity. Those gods consciously choose to allow their followers to borrow some small fraction of their power.  Merely allowing characters like that to retain their power is already acknowledging that those gods do exist and can act.

That being said, the majority of those deities are already multiversal on their own. Bahamut, Tiamat, and Lolth, for example, are the same entity in all of their appearances. There isn't a separate version of them for the different settings in which they appear.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:20:11 PM by Azul »

Hoc est proprium Dei fervitio praemia belli
Effudi sanguinem fide impleri.
Damnare ei dedecus, et conspuentibus in me.
Ego fideliter servierunt vobis, et vos similiter evomat, blasphemia est.

Offline Faaide

• Twin Drakes
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 06:47:39 PM
Hail Hydra.

Thumbs Up for Grotlax The Gibberous.